A Henry Miller Moment [and, sort of, blogging]

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sun Oct 6 08:50:50 PDT 2002

> Gibes are not much of an argument, and in this case it's
> pretty hard to see what they're directed to. I seem to be a
> blackface minstrel, but who are the 19th-century whitefolks
> in the audience? You're making me work too hard.
>
> -- Gordon

Who can argue with this?

"The only way Carrol can support ethnic cleansing in this venue is by writing openly in favor of it. An attempt to draw a conclusion from something as opaque as a signature on a petition is, as I said, tedious, the vacuous stuff of mainstream election campaigns.

"In the case of ethnic cleansing, both Mr. Milosevic and his opponents seem to have practiced or supported it, so support for or opposition to Milosevic is not a determinant of one's ethnic-cleansing quotient."

When the source of my criticism was this:

"We the undersigned demand that the Serbian authorities immediately release Slobodan Milosevic and all other Serbian patriots from jail.

"Free Slobodan Milosevic at once!

"End persecution of Mr. Milosevic and all Yugoslav patriots and soldiers at once!"

178. Carrol B. Cox, Assistant. Professor of English, Retired, Illinois State University, USA

http://www.tenc.net/petition/petition.htm

I don't know what's "opaque" about the above. But whenever Carrol states his views here we should keep in mind what he supports and what he's willing to sign his name to. Personally, I find it appalling that some on "the left" would lend their voices to Milosevic's defense, but then those who have no problem marching with the likes of ANSWER are capable of pretty much anything.

DP