A Henry Miller Moment [and, sort of, blogging]

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Sun Oct 6 18:26:36 PDT 2002

> > Gibes are not much of an argument, and in this case it's
> > pretty hard to see what they're directed to. I seem to be a
> > blackface minstrel, but who are the 19th-century whitefolks
> > in the audience? You're making me work too hard.
> >
> > -- Gordon

Dennis Perrin:
> Who can argue with this?
>
> "The only way Carrol can support ethnic cleansing in this
> venue is by writing openly in favor of it. An attempt to
> draw a conclusion from something as opaque as a signature
> on a petition is, as I said, tedious, the vacuous stuff of
> mainstream election campaigns.
>
> "In the case of ethnic cleansing, both Mr. Milosevic and his
> opponents seem to have practiced or supported it, so support
> for or opposition to Milosevic is not a determinant of one's
> ethnic-cleansing quotient."
>
> When the source of my criticism was this:
>
> "We the undersigned demand that the Serbian authorities immediately release
> Slobodan Milosevic and all other Serbian patriots from jail.
>
> "Free Slobodan Milosevic at once!
>
> "End persecution of Mr. Milosevic and all Yugoslav patriots and soldiers at
> once!"
>
> 178. Carrol B. Cox, Assistant. Professor of English, Retired, Illinois State
> University, USA
>
> http://www.tenc.net/petition/petition.htm
>
> I don't know what's "opaque" about the above. But whenever Carrol states his
> views here we should keep in mind what he supports and what he's willing to
> sign his name to. Personally, I find it appalling that some on "the left"
> would lend their voices to Milosevic's defense, but then those who have no
> problem marching with the likes of ANSWER are capable of pretty much
> anything.

I'll spell it out for you, then, instead of using my third slot to report on the glorious anti-war rally in Central Park, or recollect the days when one was 18 years old and could read Henry Miller only in badly-printed French paperbacks smuggled through Customs -- very exciting, even if the fabulosity was a bit over the top. And it was supposed to be Art, too.

Onward. We don't know, from this signature you're so on about, whether Carrol had a fit, or thinks Milosevic is innocent, or personally desires a Greater Serbia cleansed of all un-Serbian breeds. Until he comes forth and argues one thing or another, the signature only indicates his opposition to some particular act of the Serbian authorities, and his condonation of belief that S.M. is a "Serbian/Yugoslav patriot", whatever that turns out to mean. It is, therefore, opaque -- you can't see much of anything through it. It is not the case you seem to desire to spend your time developing. We're above guilt by association here (except sometimes).

-- Gordon