ad [hominem : nauseam]

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Mon Oct 7 05:03:04 PDT 2002

Daniel Davies:
> Nonononono it's great and I like it. It reminds me of when we had that guy
> from the WWP around and Dennis was determined to work every single topic
> round to the subject of Tiannamen Square. As (I think he was called Lou)
> pointed out "It's like if I wrote something about spaghetti, Dennis would
> reply 'Ahhhh, SPAGHETTI, the food that was brought back by Marco Polo from
> CHINA the place ruled by YOUR BUDDIES WHO CARRIED OUT THE MASSACRE AT
> TIANNAMEN SQUARE!!!!'".
>
> It always brings a smile to my face. It's like "Six Degrees of Carrol
> Supports Slobodan Milosevic". And the repetition just makes it funnier.
> You see the chunk of quoted text at the top of the post and you think
> "Jeezus, I wonder how he's going to work this one round to the topic of
> Slobodan Milosevic" .... and then one minute later, with perfect comic
> timing, there it is. Don't ever stop.

You can get quite a bit of it in Usenet newsgroups, you know. It may be that many of the practitioners irritate in being unable to spell or construct a grammatical sentence, but they're eager and resolute players of the game anyway. It seems superfluous to encourage the practice in this rarefied atmosphere (i.e. of correct spelling, grammatical sentence, and occasional flashes of rationality or knowledge) since one's thirst can be slaked many times over elsewhere. Indeed, one's cup runneth over.

-- Gordon