time to worry?

Mon Oct 7 12:00:11 PDT 2002

Perhaps somewhat off-topic from the intent of the original posting....

However, It was when I visited Doug's link that I realized that the Federal Reserve uses a DOT-GOV domain name.

According to the legal case cited below, the Federal Reserve is a privately owned and controlled corporation. In addition, under Final Rule 16jn99-11 (see http://www.nic.gov/help_fr16jn99-11.html): "[Dot-Gov] Internet registrations are limited to Federal, State, and local Government organizations." Further, the Gov't Domain Registration & Services site (see http://www.nic.gov/help_qualify.html) states that "Commercial firms Do Not Qualify for a DOT-GOV Domain." Hence, shouldn't the Fed use a DOT-COM extension?

In the case of Lewis vs. U.S., case #80-5905, 9th Circuit, June 24, 1982. It reads in part: "Examining the organization and function of the Federal Reserve Banks and applying the relevant factors, we conclude that the federal reserve are NOT federal instrumentalities . . . but are independent and privately owned and controlled corporations . . . federal reserve banks are listed neither as `wholly owned' government corporations [under 31 U.S.C. Section 846] nor as 'mixed ownership' corporations [under 31 U.S.C. Section 856] . . .

Steven

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com] On Behalf Of Doug Henwood Sent: Monday, October 07, 2002 10:02 AM To: lbo-talk Subject: time to worry?