time to worry?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 7 13:14:01 PDT 2002

Steven Hertzberg wrote:

>However, It was when I visited Doug's link that I realized that the
>Federal Reserve uses a DOT-GOV domain name.
>

>According to the legal case cited below, the Federal Reserve is a
>privately owned and controlled corporation. In addition, under Final
>Rule 16jn99-11 (see http://www.nic.gov/help_fr16jn99-11.html):
>"[Dot-Gov] Internet registrations are limited to Federal, State, and
>local Government organizations." Further, the Gov't Domain Registration
>& Services site (see http://www.nic.gov/help_qualify.html) states that
>"Commercial firms Do Not Qualify for a DOT-GOV Domain." Hence,
>shouldn't the Fed use a DOT-COM extension?
>

>In the case of Lewis vs. U.S., case #80-5905, 9th Circuit, June 24,
>1982. It reads in part: "Examining the organization and function of the
>Federal Reserve Banks and applying the relevant factors, we conclude
>that the federal reserve are NOT federal instrumentalities . . . but are
>independent and privately owned and controlled corporations . . .
>federal reserve banks are listed neither as `wholly owned' government
>corporations [under 31 U.S.C. Section 846] nor as 'mixed ownership'
>corporations [under 31 U.S.C. Section 856] . . .

The regional branch banks - New York, Boston, SF, etc. - are private entities, and use .org domains. The Board in DC is, more or less, a federal entity; its officers are appointed by the president and confirmed by the Senate (unlike the regional banks, which are creatures of the private sector). The Federal Open Market Committee, which sets monetary policy, is dominated by public sector appointees, but an important minority are the bank presidents, and therefore essentially employees of the private sector who nonetheless influence public policy. As Wright Patman said, in the days before the q-word took on other meanings, constitutionally, the Federal Reserve is a pretty queer duck.

Doug