show trials

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 8 15:26:59 PDT 2002

Dennis Perrin reveals his hand when he rights "I am happy to see my suspicion proved right", which has something of the Messiah-Nostradamus complex to it. Of course, whatever comes to pass has already been foretold by the prophet!

Dennis also writes - sarcastically, I take it -

"Yeah, yeah -- and if and when Kissinger comes before the same imperialist body, I know James, Carrol and their defenders will make the same arguments."

i.e the arguments that the international court has no legitimacy.

But Nostradamus, who foresees all things, knows full well that Kissinger will never stand before an international criminal court.

The challenge to Carrol and myself, though, is whether we will maintain our principled opposition to the proposed international criminal court if it is acting against someone we disapprove of.

I can say that I am already on record opposing the British courts acting against General Pinochet, on these very grounds:

"The detention of Pinochet by his former allies is rich with poetic justice, but it falls short of the justice that the dictator deserves: justice at the hands of the Chilean people. No doubt the victims are relieved to see any action against Pinochet. But the tragedy is that the former dictator's detention and potential trial will lead to a more resolute grip on the part of the West over Chile and other third world nations."

The full article is at http://web.archive.org/web/20000815234440/www.informinc.co.uk/LM/discuss/ commentary/12-06-98-PINOCHET.html -- James Heartfield The 'Death of the Subject' Explained is available at GBP11.00, plus GBP1.00 p&p from Publications, audacity.org, 8 College Close, Hackney, London, E9 6ER. Make cheques payable to 'Audacity Ltd'