show trials

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Oct 8 20:36:24 PDT 2002

James Heartfield:

> Dennis Perrin reveals his hand when he rights "I am happy to see my
> suspicion proved right", which has something of the Messiah-Nostradamus
> complex to it. Of course, whatever comes to pass has already been
> foretold by the prophet!

You've never seen me in flowing robe, I suspect. Thus the misguided slam.

> But Nostradamus, who foresees all things, knows full well that Kissinger
> will never stand before an international criminal court.

Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows? The concept of him standing trial is not a marginal one, certainly not internationally. But since you oppose the prosecution of Pinochet --

> "The detention of Pinochet by his former allies is rich with poetic
> justice, but it falls short of the justice that the dictator deserves:
> justice at the hands of the Chilean people. No doubt the victims are
> relieved to see any action against Pinochet. But the tragedy is that the
> former dictator's detention and potential trial will lead to a more
> resolute grip on the part of the West over Chile and other third world
> nations."

-- one can say you are consistently pro-states rights, opposed to the concept of an international court. You see things in realpolitick terms (very Kissinger of you -- indeed, quite reminiscent of the segregationist South's argument against the North's attempts to enforce integration), so you oppose the idea of war crimes trials in a world dominated by the US. If this is the case, then nothing humane can happen internationally until the USG falls, is overthrown, reverts to isolationism, or subscribes to James Heartfield's politics. Till then, the likes of Kissinger, Milosevic, Saddam, Pinochet and Suharto should expect no international action to stem their aggression or punish their crimes since the US runs the joint, therefore any charge would be false and would merely serve Empire.

In such a sphere we see leftists defend war criminals as an act of anti-imperialism. How the Empire controls our every move and thought . . .

DP