Food for thought

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 8 16:00:48 PDT 2002

[From NY Press, "Adipose Nation"]

In a nation of child-raping priests, child-murdering pedophiles, insane jihadi terrorists and kleptomaniac capitalists, this domestic fat crisis might seem on first inspection to be a relatively benign problem. ... But I would suggest that the bloating of our nation is more insidious than any of these other threats to our health and well-being, both because it reflects the behavior of most Americans rather than a relatively small number of deviant criminals and because this behavior inspires so little condemnation. ...

Describing the gluttony in America as an epidemic of obesity shrouds the individual decisions that are its root cause. It is as unhelpful as speaking of an epidemic of cooked corporate books or a plague of sexually molested children. Because getting fat is not like getting polio or leukemia or elephantiasis. It is a lot like getting drunk – a conscious decision to choose a sensory pleasure despite known negative consequences. It is a choice that goes to the great moral question of civilized man – shall we indulge our desires or restrain them? Whether a hand reaches for that third chocolate eclair or a choir boy or the money from the company pension fund, the answer is the same. ...

[http://www.nypress.com/15/41/news&columns/feature.cfm]

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx