show trials

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Wed Oct 9 07:30:08 PDT 2002

Dennis Perrin:
> ... The concept of [Kissinger] standing trial is not a
> marginal one, certainly not internationally. But since you oppose the
> prosecution of
> Pinochet ...
> ... one can say you are consistently pro-states rights, opposed to the
> concept
> of an international court. You see things in realpolitick terms (very
> Kissinger of you -- indeed, quite reminiscent of the segregationist South's
> argument against the North's attempts to enforce integration), so you oppose
> the idea of war crimes
> trials in a world dominated by the US. If this is the case, then nothing
> humane can happen internationally until the USG falls, is overthrown,
> reverts to isolationism, or subscribes to James Heartfield's politics. Till
> then, the likes of Kissinger, Milosevic, Saddam, Pinochet and Suharto should
> expect no international action to stem their aggression or punish their
> crimes since the US runs the joint, therefore any charge would be false and
> would merely serve Empire.
>
> In such a sphere we see leftists defend war criminals as an act of
> anti-imperialism. How the Empire controls our every move and thought . . .

I don't see leftists generally defending war criminals; I see many of them (correctly) identifying much of the activity around war criminals as an aspect of imperialism. I suppose one might then decide that a certain amount of imperialism was worth getting certain bad guys, although people like Pinochet and Milosevic seem like rather small fry given the stuff that goes on. But I think this the trade is a bad one: the imperialist who is doing good, or shamming good, is simply preparing the ground for doing larger evil, and each operation prepares the way for the next. The operations in Yugoslavia and Afghanistan were practice and conditioning for the invasion of Iraq and whatever will come after that if the latter can be presented as a success -- one must anticipate a considerable reign (and rain) of death, terror and destruction, since that is the stock in trade of imperialism. The trial of war criminals, who, you will notice, are always of some lesser breed, is a puppet show during the intermissions of the real play. Perhaps the imperialists will also hand out refreshments.

-- Gordon