top 10 places to live in US for lesbians

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au
Tue Oct 8 16:45:36 PDT 2002

Kelley writes:

> >But what are their criteria anyway?
>
> that was my question, too. Was it just ratio of women:men? The
> "cultural tundra" factor? Social acceptance? Outness? Community?
> Politics? Other supposed lifestyle issues? What?

Yeah. I seriously have been recommended places as where to live if you're a lesbian. While they seem to be characterised by the things I listed, I think they're meant to be characterised by community -- lesbians apparently need to commune -- and by the possibility of a quiet but well-appointed domestic life. Gardening does seem to be crucial.

Jim Westrich writes:

> ...Personally, all the businesses catering to women's comforts (yet
> another high end chocolate shop has opened and there is now 1 sushi
> bar for every 4327 residents) is neither an attraction nor a drawback
> to me.

Chocolate and sushi?... I guess, sure, your better off lesbians may very well like chocolate, but making your own sushi is way more important than living near somewhere you can buy it.

and, in a separate post:

> But many important styles and trends for men are started by women
> (especially dykes). Like haircuts.

Ani DiFranco hair, Eminem hair, or newsreader hair appear to be the main options. Are you one of those?

And Chuck replies -- ah, to men, not Jim - (hi Chuck):

> > Scary all round. Perhaps I'm becoming bitter. Catherine
>
> Bitter? How about the top ten places to get gray, old, disabled, and
> die?

You know that could be it. Perhaps I need that kind of magazine survey. But if so I don't think I'm ready to admit it yet. It occurs to me though, that I might prefer pensioner-land to lesbian-land when choosing where to live.

Catherine