Bush Threatens Veto of Defense Bill

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Tue Oct 8 18:41:26 PDT 2002

>Zizek says in his Lenin book that one should only make the argument
>that there's no difference between the two parties (two principal
>parties in countries outside the U.S., like the CDU and the SDP in
>Germany) when the more liberal party is in office. When the rightwing
>party is in power, too many additional people are being damaged. I
>think there may be something to that.
>
>Doug

Why change our rhetoric every four or eight years? I favor raising expectations no matter who's in power.

That said, yes, my experience with organizing for the Labor Party is that when the dems are in power, people can see that they aren't the solution. With Bush in, there's too much defensive work--in the unions and everywhere else--to even think about an alternative party. It's a fine example of the general case that being more downtrodden doesn't automatically lead to more revolt--and, for me, more evidence that there's frequently no conflict between reform and revolution.

(Sorry abt. the superfluous Mazzocchi obit, the digest time-lag is to blame.) Jenny Brown