My pal Pete...

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 8 23:13:22 PDT 2002

>>On Tue, 8 Oct 2002 16:37:54 -0700
>> "Luke Weiger" <lweiger at umich.edu> wrote:
>>> ...seems to agree with me regarding the proper limits of
>>> national
>>> sovereignty. He must've missed Justin's sophisticated
>>> defense on rule
>>> utilitarian grounds :)
>>>
>> > http://chronicle.com/weekly/v49/i07/07b00701.htm

Nothing terribly sophisticated about it. My point is just that you can't trust the US to do right in international affairs. Even if you grant, as I do not, Nathan's idea that the US liberated Kosova instead of creating the conditions for a massacre, and grant, as I do not, that the US attack on Afghanistan led to overall positive results, the fact is that the rest of the US records of foreign intervention since 1898 has been, with the exception of WWII, unrelievedly bleak for the rest of the world. The US is an imperialist power that acts in its own narrow interestsa nd against those of (mainly) the world's poor. So even if you think we could use a benevolent world government, as Singer does, the US can't provide it. Even if it would be just for nonimperialist power to go around setting things rights, the US is not a nonimperialist power. It doesn't take Einstein to figure this out. jks