"Jobless get their own reality TV show"

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Oct 9 08:22:29 PDT 2002

Doug:
> Our old friend Mencken said something like there comes a time in
> every man's life where he feels like rolling up his sleeves, hoisting
> the black flag, and slitting throats. I think this is one of those
> times.

Yes. And, I may add, more than one time. Which is why I have become more philosophical about it - I used to go to demos or engage in shouting matches with frat boys and blue collar "patriots," now I just get annoyed, then listen to classical music, and then look at things in a perspective and come to the conclusion that in a great scheme of life, people get what they bargained for - you cannot expect them to fight for justice for all or, for that matter, save them against their own will.

By and large, the best behavioral model can be epithomized by bicycle riding: bending and kicking down (or responsibility toward above, authority toward below, as Adof Hitler aptly observed). Those who found themselves out of luck will generally suck up to the powers that be to get their status back, while kicking those even less fortunate to keep the spirit up and the riff raff out. The chances that they will become a revolutionary force that will redeem our society and humanity (which is the central dogma of marxist eschatology) - are quite slim, indeed.

Wojtek