The Day of the Heroic Guerilla

cuito61 at onebox.com cuito61 at onebox.com
Wed Oct 9 06:30:18 PDT 2002

Today marks the 35th anniversary of the death of one of the most influential figures in the 20th century -- Latin American revolutionary Ernesto Che Guevara.

Born in Argentina in 1928, and killed in Bolivia on October 9, 1967, Che rose to international prominence as one of the key leaders of the 1959 Cuban revolution that overthrew dictator Fulgencio Batista. But after a period in the new Cuban government leadership, Che aimed to spark revolutionary activity internationally, believing that the only way to preserve social, economic and political rights on a local level was through global action. He traveled to Congo in Africa and to Bolivia, where he was subsequently captured, interrogated and executed. His hands were cut off so the finger prints would prove he was dead.

"Let me say, with the risk of appearing ridiculous, that the true revolutionary is guided by strong feelings of love. It is impossible to think of an authentic revolutionary without this quality."

"Let us sum up our hopes for victory: total destruction of imperialism by eliminating its firmest bulwark: the oppression exercized by the United States of America."

"Let us be realists, let us insist on the impossible."

--Che

--- Marc Rodrigues Voicemail: 866.206.9067 x4217 Students for a Free Society: http://qcsfs.tripod.com

Who have the colonies

Who stole the most land