Leftists Embrace the Bush Doctrine

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 9 07:44:28 PDT 2002

>Justin wrote:
>

> > Nothing terribly sophisticated about it.
>
>Sorry. A misguided attempt at irony.
>
> > My point is just that you can't trust the US to do right in
>international
>affairs...
>
>This is one point, and its distinct from your argument that there's good
>reason to allow countries to commit massacres so long as they do so within
>their own borders (as you said, it "keeps the peace").
>
>-- Luke

Keeping the peace--what a ludicrous notion, eh? What's so bad about war, anyway? It is the health of the nation, jawohl?

I presume that in view of the US's appalling record in international affairs, its actual use of weapons of mass destruction on civilian populations, its long record of not mere support for but actual intervention in favor of cruel and violent dictators abroad (such as one Saddam Husseein), that you would support military intervention by the UN to overthrow the US government and replace it with a peaceable democracy. Or indeed intervention by a coaltion of Wuropean and Asianpowers with the sanction of the UN. That is of course not immediately in the cards.

But I wish to draw to your attention the inelectable cosnsequence of your view that any nation who thinks someone else's policies are morally horrible should be overthrown by foreign invasion. With the US the case is far better tnan with Iraq. The US actually does posea real and well-documented danger to every nation in the world. In fact, it has recently announced that it will launch a unilateral preemptive attack on anyone whom it feels might someday be adanger to its supremacy. However, this seems to be OK with you.

jks