US Out of Everywhere

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Oct 9 08:09:07 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com>

>I think the proper response in view of the undisputed facts aboutthe nature
>of US foreign policy--and I set aside Kosova and Afghanistan as
disputed--is
>not "Let the US use its power to extract multinational "agreement" to its
>depradations, but "US out of everywhere"!

That's teh Buchanan position- no intervention, no foreign aid, no entanglements.

My biggest problem with the "USA out of everywhere" position is that it overwhelmingly focuses on military adventurism, yet the economic role of the US in the world-- which it is decidely not going to be "out of" in any case-- is deemphasized.

I am against the war in Iraq but a war there is pretty damn irrelevant to global suffering-- over 30 million people are projected to die of AIDS in coming years, millions more will die each year from poverty, lack of decent water, lack of food, and so on. The validation of "sovereignty" and "self-determination" has its conservative flip side of lack of responsibility by the US for doing anything about that global suffering.

The Left has an overwhelmingly negative agenda, especially on foreign policy, when what is most desperately needed is a positive agenda of global justice.

-- Nathan Newman