Leftists Embrace the Bush Doctrine

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 9 09:17:39 PDT 2002

>Justin:
> > tnan with Iraq. The US actually does posea real and
> > well-documented danger
> > to every nation in the world. In fact, it has recently
> > announced that it
> > will launch a unilateral preemptive attack on anyone whom it
> > feels might
> > someday be adanger to its supremacy. However, this seems to
> > be OK with you.
>

>That is simply not true.

The "recent announcement" is of course true. What W means to dispute is that the US poses a threat to anyone we might like. "Legitimate" nations--I like that, makes me think of King Lear ("Edmund the bastard will top the 'legitimate'"!)--have nothing to worry about. Sort of like the argument that incursions on civil liberties don't matter because "innocent" people have nothing to fear. W's move, like Nathan's, and Luke's, and Brad's--is (dare I say) undialectical. It fails to grasp Niemoller's point (First they came for the Communists . . . ) that you establish the point on an easy target, they you cut loose on whom you like. So the US picks of wretched psycho scumbags like Milosovic and Mohammed Omar and Saddam Hussein, in part to maked the point even to "legitimate" nations (presumably including the murderous friends we arm and train in Columbia, our good feminist democrats the Saudis, etc.) that they better stay in line, and to establish a precedent that we will kill anyone who gets out of line, making them "illegitimate." Remember, W, your definition of "legitimate" is different from your namesake's in the White House,

jks

For the past couple of years the US military