Leftists Embrace the Bush Doctrine

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Oct 9 11:34:57 PDT 2002

> nothing to fear. W's move, like Nathan's, and Luke's, and
> Brad's--is (dare I
> say) undialectical. It fails to grasp Niemoller's point
> (First they came for
> the Communists . . . ) that you establish the point on an
> easy target, they
> you cut loose on whom you like. So the US picks of wretched
> psycho scumbags
> like Milosovic and Mohammed Omar and Saddam Hussein, in part
> to maked the
> point even to "legitimate" nations (presumably including the
> murderous
> friends we arm and train in Columbia, our good feminist democrats the
> Saudis, etc.) that they better stay in line, and to establish
> a precedent
> that we will kill anyone who gets out of line, making them
> "illegitimate."
> Remember, W, your definition of "legitimate" is different from your
> namesake's in the White House,

That is a slippery slope fallacy. I simply do not buy it that Washington wants to declare a war against all. For one thing, that would not be very beneficial to the US ruling class' interests. As Napoleon is believed to say, you can do many things with bayonetts except to sit on them. An unstable world poses a far greater danger to the US ruling class than a stable one.

Wojtek