BUSH TALKS, NETWORKS SPEECHLESS

Wed Oct 9 12:27:13 PDT 2002

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A57618-2002Oct7?language=printe r

ABC, CBS and NBC all decided not to carry President Bush's speech

live at 8 Monday night. "They said yesterday that they made this

call because the White House never asked them to carry the speech

live," reports the Washington Post. "But the White House said it

did not put in the usual formal request because it wanted to keep

the American public from thinking we were going to war." However,

the fact that we are going to war did manage to register with a few

pundits. As media critic Doug Ireland observes, "it was politically

savvy David Gergen -- spinmeister for four presidents, both

Republican and Democratic -- who got it absolutely right when he

told MSNBC the speech was 'blunt, hardline, a prelude to war.' ...

And Gergen accurately delivered the most frightening on-air

analysis of all: 'The logic of the speech says that Iraq is our

first stop, not our last stop, in the Middle East.'" (The Institute

for Public Accuracy has prepared a line-by-line critique of the

misrepresentations in Bush's speech.)

SOURCE: Washington Post, October 8, 2002

More web links related to this story are available at:

http://www.prwatch.org/spin/October_2002.html#1034049601 To discuss this story in the PR Watch Forum, visit:

http://www.prwatch.org/forum/discuss.php?id=1034049601