Bush War on Labor: ILWU Injunctions and Links for Action and Legal Backgr...

DoreneFC at aol.com DoreneFC at aol.com
Wed Oct 9 12:42:48 PDT 2002

Ummm, what are you missing?

Today I have seen and heard various commentaries saying that once shippers are ordered to end lockout and dockworkers go back to work under terms of the injunction instead even of a 30-day extension to their contract, then if dockworkers just work to rule, they may be subject to fines for violations of the National Security / economic necessity provisions of Taft-Hartley.

I do not understand the full subtleties of this, but it seems unlikely to me that Bush and Co would suddenly soften their perpetual hard line about labor issues.

Of course, in my rich fantasy life, there would be unionized Wal-mart workers in solidarity refusing to sell scab freight or supporters camping out at the gates of the ports if the shippers tried another lockout.

DoreneC