release Milosevic!

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Wed Oct 9 13:54:05 PDT 2002

>Todd Archer wrote:
>
>>Um, I thought the argument was about US intervention (specifically
>>unilateral intervention) in OTHER countries . . . . Cleaning your
>>own house is another ballgame, isn't it?
>
>"We are the world...."
>
>Doug

The subject line, Todd, is about releasing the war criminal Milosevic. I proposed the analogy that some might have argued that Northerners should have cleaned up their own house before FORCING the South to desegregate. And it's a bit naive to think that the Civil Rights movement on its own could have forced the South to desegregate. And it is debatable who deserves more credit, the Soviet Union or the Civil Rights movement but I bet those involved in the Civil Rights movement were just happy it happened and did't really care if the Soviet Union lent an ideological hand. On the other hand I bet desegregating the American South wasn't high on the Soviet Union's agenda and even if it was, what business of theirs was it to tell Southern blacks and whites how to live? The US is a sovereign naiton after all.

The world is becoming one economy, what with the Japanese producing and selling us key components for our imperial Tomahawk missiles, etc. The closing of the western ports were hurting the economy significantly, so maybe world trade *is* crucial to the economy, at least during these fragile times. Anyway, if it is becoming one economy, why not try to make it one - just and equitable of course - society? Isn't that what internationalism is all about?

Peter