Demonstration to Stop the WAR (Fri., Oct. 11)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Oct 10 08:38:50 PDT 2002

Yoshie:
> Please Distribute widely:
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>
> Columbus, Ohio 10/7/2002
>
> DEMONSTRATION TO STOP WAR ON IRAQ

Yoshie - the last time the Bush dynasty went to war I did this kind of things - going to demos, blocking traffic, picking up fights with red-blooded Amerikuns who wanted to kick Iraqi butt. But then I realized the futlity of such endeavors - they actually boost the official propaganda's claim that public opinion matters and public policies are debated instead of handed down by the ruling oligarchy. Since then, Bush junior was put in offcie and enjoys one of highest popularity rating in history. And the the so-called elected "representatives bend backward to earn the privilege of rubber-stamping the Il duce's decision to go to war (instead of being ingnored altogether). So this time, I will pass - it's too aggravating.

Part of the wisdom is knowing when to let go, and stop banging your head against the wall. The time is not right. The only time the people in this country will publicly protest against a war is when their sons will start coming home in body bags in large numbers and the fragging will sufficiently cripple the Army's capacity to fight. Save you energy when such time will (hopefully) come, if it comes. But for now, if "our" side is loosing - let's at least accept that with dignity.

In that vein, let me quote a poem by Cavafy that has been hanging on my office wall since the first Persian Gulf adventure. As most of Cavafy's poetry, it refers to ancient Mediterranean history, this time the story of Antony who allegedly saw an entourage of god Dionysus abandoning him the night before he lost the battele of Alexandria. Enjoy, while watching the parade of American flags.

The god forsakes Antony

When suddenly at the midnight hour And invisible troupe is heard passing With exquisite musi , with shouts- Do not mourn in vain your fortune failing you now, Your works that have failed, the plans of your life That have all turend to be illusions. As if long prepared for it, as if courageous, Bid her farewell, the Alexandria that is leaving. Above all do not be fooled, do not tell yourself That this was only a dream, that your ears deceived you; Do not stoop to such vain hopes. As if long prepared for this, as if courageous, As it becomes you who are worthy os such a city; Approach the window with firm step, And listen with emotion, but not With the antreaties and complaints of the coward, As a last enjoyment listed to the sounds, The exquisite instruments of the mystical troupe, And bid her farewell, the Alexandria you are loosing.

(Constantine Cavafy, The complete poems of Cavafy, translated by Rae Dalven).

Wojtek