Demonstration to Stop the WAR (Fri., Oct. 11)

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Thu Oct 10 08:49:54 PDT 2002

> Yoshie - the last time the Bush dynasty went to war I did this kind of
> things - going to demos, blocking traffic, picking up fights with
> red-blooded Amerikuns who wanted to kick Iraqi butt. But then I
> realized the futlity of such endeavors - they actually boost the
> official propaganda's claim that public opinion matters and public
> policies are debated instead of handed down by the ruling oligarchy.
> Since then, Bush junior was put in offcie and enjoys one of highest
> popularity rating in history. And the the so-called elected
> "representatives bend backward to earn the privilege of rubber-stamping
> the Il duce's decision to go to war (instead of being ingnored
> altogether). So this time, I will pass - it's too aggravating.

> Wojtek

Yes, I remember the last time, too. Some of the demos I was in were semi-hijacked by groups of competing sectarians, some of whom chanted, "Death to America! Victory to Iraq!" This of course thrilled the bystanders on the sidewalks who were, as you can imagine, instantly drawn to such an uplifting message.

The war's coming, folks. The drums have been beating too long now for a pullback. Let's see what happens when Bush puts a newer, mellower Saddam-type in place, and how the locals there react. Should be quite interesting.

DP