Bush Threatens Veto of Defense Bill

John K. Taber jktaber at tacni.net
Thu Oct 10 18:25:50 PDT 2002

Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Bradford DeLong wrote:

> >In short, that one should spend half one's time lying to all
> and sundry?
>
> It's not a matter of lying - it's a matter of emphasis and context.
> For radicals, the good thing about having Clinton around was that you
> could say - this is as good as it gets, which isn't so good. The
> nicer of the bosses' two parties is still the bosses' party. When the
> piggier party is in office, you can't say this is as good as it gets
> because it's generally fairly awful.
>
> Doug

It's like Theory X and Theory Y. X managers say get the work out of me by kicking my ass. Let him fear us. Y managers say, no treat him nice (within limits) and get more work out of him because he will want to.

So, which is better, being treated a little better but working harder, or being treated worse and not working so much?

I used to think Theory Y, but now I'm not so sure.

-- John K. Taber