Bush Threatens Veto of Defense Bill

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Oct 10 19:14:43 PDT 2002

John K. Taber wrote:

>It's like Theory X and Theory Y. X managers say get the work out
>of me by kicking my ass. Let him fear us. Y managers say, no treat
>him nice (within limits) and get more work out of him because
>he will want to.
>
>So, which is better, being treated a little better but working
>harder, or being treated worse and not working so much?
>
>I used to think Theory Y, but now I'm not so sure.

Yeah, but political parties have constituencies. Both X and Y answer first to big money. But Party X also has to flatter racists, Christian fundamentalists, small business antiregulatory nuts. Party Y has to flatter, or appear to flatter, liberal interest groups and unions. There's a structural difference.

Doug