FW: CAMEJO FOR GOVERNOR: Newsletter: An amazing week

Thu Oct 10 21:06:11 PDT 2002

California 3rd party gets locked out of debate...

-----Original Message----- From: Tyler Snortum-Phelps [mailto:tyler at votecamejo.org] Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 5:01 PM To: Votecamejo at topica.com Subject: CAMEJO FOR GOVERNOR: Newsletter: An amazing week

I finally have a minute to sit down and tell you about the amazing few days we've just been through. Some of you may have already heard about these events. Everyone can be proud of our campaign and the great strides we're making.

THE DEBATE: DAVIS THROWS A TANTRUM, LOCKS PETER OUT As most of you heard, Peter was not invited to participate in the Los Angeles Times sponsored debate on October 7th. After repeated attempts to include Peter as a participant, we then asked simply that he be allowed in the press room as an observer, and to be available to the press afterward. Bill Simon offered to put Peter on his guest list so that this could happen. When Gray Davis heard of this, he became rather inflamed. He threatened to *walk out* of the building if Peter was even allowed in the door! Davis'

mistake was that this put a tremendous amount of media attention on Peter. We were out on the sidewalk with our wonderful team of Green Party members (complete with signs, T-shirts, buttons and banners), and Peter was talking to a TV camera, radio station or print reporter almost continuously for 45 minutes!

At about 11:15, Peter walked over to the doors, completely surrounded by TV cameras and reporters, and attempted to get in. He was told "you are not

invited", even as he showed his invitation. After several attempts to convince them that he should be allowed in, he came back outside. More media interviews followed until the debate began. That night and the next day,

Californians all heard how unfair and petty the L.A. Times and Governor Davis had been. Short of having Peter up on the podium with Davis and Simon, we couldn't have asked for more.

For great coverage of these events, visit our website, www.votecamejo.org (both the front page and the In The News section) and see this article in the Sacramento News & Review: http://newsreview.com/issues/sacto/2002-10-10/cover.asp

[snip]

Tyler Snortum-Phelps Campaign Manager Peter Miguel Camejo for Governor tyler at votecamejo.org www.votecamejo.org P.O. Box 3629 Oakland, CA 94609