The Nazi "Coverup"

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 11 06:38:15 PDT 2002

Btw, the
>Soviet advance into Eastern Europe DID quicvken the pace of the death camps
>until the very last minute. Witness the extrermination of the Jews of
>Hungary in the Spring of '44, using thousands of train cars taht were
>desperately needed by the Wehrmacht.
>
>jks
>
>I thought Himmler shut 'em down in order to present a kindler, gentler face
>to the Allies?
>
>_

No. The death camps in the east were rolled up at the last minute in the face of the Soviet advance, and many prisoneres were evacuated from Auschwitz and other camps to be taken on long, bizarre death marches all over Germany to other camps as the various allies approached (after the crematoria were dynamited), but the coverup, such as it was, was a very last-second affair. And, as I asy, the Jews of Hungary were exterminated--500,000 victims--in March of '44--the Nazis had to ovethrow Adm. Horthy's regime to do it--because the Nazis wanted to make sure they got 'em while there was still time. jks