Genocide Awareness Project re: abortion

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Oct 12 02:03:39 PDT 2002

>One reason I am opposed to Roe v. Wade philosophically is that it encourages
>this binary approach to rights and in many ways empowers the rhetoric of the
>"right to lifers" who just propose an alternative trump card to the right to
>privacy (always a rotten part of the decision, since a defense of women's
>right not to be enslaved either individually or socially as a group is far
>stronger in any case).
>
>-- Nathan Newman

***** Amendment XIII

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction. *****

Presumably, the 13th Amendment would allow slavery or involuntary servitude of women as a punishment if abortion were a crime. -- Yoshie