abortion

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Oct 12 15:47:35 PDT 2002

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> In short, death is an unavoidable consequence of life - it is a-moral,
> neither bad nor good. It acquires moral qualities only if it becomes
> integrated into a political claim or discourse

Um, Woj, I think most people think death is a bad, in itself, pre-discourse, for whomever it happens to. Even people who think they're going to a better place think that.

Now a bad happening to someone else might make us feel good, but that's a a different question, depending on social relations. And it can be true of any bad. I used to get a big kick out of hitting my brother with a water balloon.

I must say, the idea that the badness of death is something created only by discourse out postmodernists the postmodernists. Did you have a conversion experience when you were offlist? :o)

Michael