Demonstration to Stop the WAR (Fri, Oct 11)

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Sun Oct 13 16:00:12 PDT 2002

Dennis Perrin:
> Well, then, comrades -- here's to a loooong,
> destructive, painful, bloody, costly war! Anything for the cause, eh?

Gordon:
> Apparently that's the only thing which dissuades the imperially-minded
> from their sport... Any suggestions? Moral and aesthetic suasion don't
> seem to do a thing as far as the powerful are concerned.

Chuck Grimes:
> Wish I had an alternative. But here is an even more depressing
> thought. What if it works? What if the US captures the central
> government, ousts Hussein, takes few casualties and inflicts few in
> return. Then what?
>
> Just to toy with the most depressing scenario I can imagine. Let's say
> it all works out just fine and most Iraqis accept it, going on
> about their business. Let's say after a few shocking months of
> un-ambivalent military and political success, it only goes from bad to
> worse. Let's say the US and the Russians form a joint energy
> development project, rehabilitate the Iraqi oil fields, link up the
> rest of the central asian gas and oil fields and pipeline projects to
> put themselves into direct competition with the Saudis and OPEC. Thus
> the Russians and US move EU, Japan, India, China, and SEA energy
> supply dependence from OPEC to the US and Russians?
>
> Too bad the US has zero in rail technology because it would then be in
> a great position to hose most of central asia out of their rail and
> infrastructure development. Oh well, it can't be all good news...

The State cannot be at peace. If the operation against Iraq is completely successful, a new enemy will have to be sought before long. Possibly a certain amount of mileage will be available from terrorism and counter-terrorism, but if Monkey Boy succeeds with this war, logic demands that he go on to a larger one. It is not an unfamiliar situation, is it?

-- Gordon