war sacrifice/psychoanalysis

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Mon Oct 14 11:26:07 PDT 2002

At 01:49 PM 10/14/2002 -0400, Carol wrote:
>I think this illustrates why psychoanalysis isn't even worth refuting.
>It seems a deliberate effort to kill three birds with one stone: a) the
>Freudian tradition b) the Jungian tradition c) evolutionary psychology.
>It combines the most ludicrous elements of all three.

Psychoanalysis is a form of meditation (attention) involving two people. In the crucible of that relationship, the one seeking help can re-examine patterns of relating to self and others. These patterns/asumptions can be seen especially clearly in the presence of a perfect stranger, and the "cure" begins with the seeing. If the patient is able to give up the safety of conditioned behavior for the "danger" of facing the only unknown there is, the present, then some good things happen.

Psychoanalysis has also been extended to other realms: literary studies, sociology, etc. I am very doubtful that it has any validity in those domains. At the same time, I thought Riech's "Mass Psychology of Fascism" to be a very interesting/valuable read, and some gifted and intelligent writers get some good mileage out of using psychoanalytic terms metaphorically.

But, I disagree, that one sloppy application of psychoanalytic metaphors can invalidate the whole domain.

Joanna