war sacrifice/psychoanalysis

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Mon Oct 14 16:01:52 PDT 2002

Quoting joanna bujes <joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com>:

> Psychoanalysis has also been extended to other realms: literary studies,
> sociology, etc. I am very doubtful that it has any validity in those
> domains.

Psychoanalysis did have a genuinely radical moment, though - Freud was, strange as it sounds, one of the first great theorists of the consumer culture. The whole point of the Freudian revolution in psychology was (1) to replace the notion of fixed, immutable identities with the notion of free-floating, malleable subjects, replete with personal microhistories, and (2) to insist that all analysis has a moment of self-analysis. The later versions of psychoanalysis all but obliterated this radical insight underneath reactionary mythologies of various kinds.

-- Dennis

------------------------------------------------------------ Visit http://www.efn.org for all your community networking needs