war sacrifice/psychoanalysis

RE earnest at tallynet.com
Tue Oct 15 17:47:02 PDT 2002

Psychoanalysis has no validity when it seeks to trump other disciplines. But it has plenty when it can supplement them, and I think the Free Association folks often lose track of the difference, or aren't careful about warding off misunderstandings. From another angle, no one goes to work simply out of observance of a Law of the Father, but it's hard to imagine anyone whose experience of work and its social organization is not shaped by at least the tug of dutiful observance, however nicely sublimated it is into some sort of Arbeitlust.

But psychoanalysis as mythology? Only the most tendentious reading would support that. In "Sociology and Psychology" Adorno wrote of psychoanalysis going into the depths of the subject and finding society. Loosely, just add unconscious psychological processes (lately getting good support from the neurosciences and cognitive psychology, which used to think of the unconscious as myth and psychoanalysis as a dead duck), and you've got psychoanalysis. Randy ----- Original Message ----- From: <dredmond at efn.org> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, October 14, 2002 7:01 PM Subject: Re: war sacrifice/psychoanalysis

> Quoting joanna bujes <joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com>:
>
> > Psychoanalysis has also been extended to other realms: literary studies,
> > sociology, etc. I am very doubtful that it has any validity in those
> > domains.
>
> Psychoanalysis did have a genuinely radical moment, though - Freud was,
strange
> as it sounds, one of the first great theorists of the consumer culture.
The