sex and the left

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Wed Oct 16 11:31:16 PDT 2002

I am not aware that the left in this country is particularly anti-sex any more than any other group. What is true, is that the culture as a whole remains fairly puritannical despite the 24-hour barrage of commercial advertising, which largely uses lust/sex as a motive force. But all it really adds up to is that Americans are the most over-stimulated and undergratified people on earth.

Aside from that, identity politics has led to the appreciation of the fact that a sex object is still an object and, as an object, cannot properly be said to enjoy any freedom at all. So far, so good. Added to that, there is the ultra-left-all-sex-is-rape school, which is again, more American than leftist.

This is a long way of saying that disentangling sexuality as a domain of subjective freedom is a difficult project in a culture where commodification, objectification, and soporific "enjoyment" is the order of the day. Sexuality may be a way of coming into consciousness -- it was in many ways for me -- but a lot depends on the context.

The only charge I could make against the left as left, and sexual repression is that there is a part of the left that is suspicious of pleasure and mistrustful of the present. Sexual pleasure _is_ a kind of anarchy, it is immediately apprehensible, ecstatic, revolutionary -- and in that way defies the eternally deferred goodies that all hard-working party members should be bringing about by means of unrelenting suffering.

As for the gentleman who caught his teen-age son looking at porno. Relax. Remember when you were an adolescent? Remember that wave of hormones that washed over you? I remember that I could have a full-body orgasm at 13 just looking at the boy I had a crush on intently for a couple of minutes!!!! Discovering sexuality in adolescence is like discovering you have an extra limb (pardon the pun) or an extra sensory system. You want to try it out. You want to see what you can do with it. For the girls, it feels like an enormous new power. So, of course, they're going to want to investigate and read things and look at porn, etc.

My solution was to casually introduce reasonable reading material in the house. So I would leave Anand's book "Sexual Ecstasy" about, and some of Susie Bright's books, and stuff like that. Also, I spoke to my children about sex, comfortably, honestly ever since they started asking questions (age 5). When my son reached adolescence, I made sure there were always a bunch of condoms in the bathroom and gave him a detailed explanation of how conception happens and how to avoid it. You can't control your children's sexual development and you don't want to. But you do want to set up an environment where your kids will come to you first and immediately with questions or problems. They will do that if they trust you and if they think you have a sane attitude about sex. This will literally save lives.

Best,

Joanna