Democratic Left_ list (UFT)

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Oct 16 18:05:47 PDT 2002

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Nathan Newman wrote:

> > Watching Leo justify endorsing Pataki has been fun.
>
> There is a pragmatism to rewarding the one GOP pro-labor star (even if
> you have to grade massively on the curve) to make Republicans think it's
> worth throwing some votes labor's way.
>
> Hey and while you third party folks will grit your teeth, throwing a few
> endorsements to republicans is probably far more effective in making
> Dems work for the pro-labor vote than endorsing a Green.

I read this the opposite way, Nathan: it's precisely because this is a case where it doesn't bother me if the Republican wins, and he probably is going to, that it's a perfect time to vote Green. And frankly I think they've got a great candidate in Stanley Aronowitz. Admittedly, he was an asshole to my friend Doug; he's not an economist; he's a joke as a scientist; and he's not a very good writer. But he's a great public speaker, and he was by far the best one in the debates. He's really taken this campaign seriously. He's booked up, and he's speaking out persuasively out on ideas that are good ones. And he's the only one in the race who is.

Michael