Radio Henwood

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Oct 17 08:22:49 PDT 2002

Today I'm doing a two-hour special radio show, as part of WBAI's fundraising marathon. So, please listen, and if you're so moved, please pledge during my time slot, to impress the higher-ups. And, it's going to be a good program:

* TARIQ ALI and NOAM CHOMSKY (in separate interviews) put the impending war on Iraq in historical and strategic context - what Bush is after, how it relates to long-standing U.S. policies, relations between the U.S. and its allies, and what might be next on the agenda. ALI also talks about the gains by religious parties in the Pakistani elections, and CHOMSKY talks about the reasonably good prospects for an antiwar movement in a country that's "incomparably more civilized" than it was 40 years ago.

* CYNTHIA ENLOE offers a feminist analysis of the militarization of our society - what its symptoms are, how sometimes people out of uniform are more militarized than those wearing it, and ways to demobilize our minds and our culture.

Plus musical interludes by CHICKS ON SPEED, and me, begging for money.

WBAI, 99.5 FM, New York, and <http://www.wbai.org>, Thursday, 4-6 PM eastern U.S. time.

Doug