Hitch on Hardball

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Oct 18 08:24:28 PDT 2002

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Have to say, I still have great sympathy for what Hitchens is saying about
>too much antiwar rhetoric lacking new analysis, his point that the Kurds
>barely get mentioned by the antiwar left being spot on.

In the interviews I did with Tariq Ali and Noam Chomsky for yesterday's radio show - which will be up on the web, if all goes well, this afternoon - both mentioned the treatment of the Kurds, and both denounced both Saddam and Osama as monsters. These are two icons of the antiwar left. The alleged silence on these issues is just that - alleged. Besides, left critics of the U.S. empire have been talking about these things for ages - it was the mainstream that didn't, because Saddam, the Taliban, and Saudi Arabia were our friends.

Doug