Hitch on Hardball

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Oct 18 10:01:09 PDT 2002

philion at hawaii.edu wrote:

>I'd also note, in addition to Doug's comments on Hitch's bizarre take
>on the left and Kurds that his argument that the left argued that Bin
>Laden was a worthy revolutionary is also loopy at best and outright
>false at worst. The rightward turn seems to do wonders to seriousness
>in argument....What's notable is that Matthews and the mainstream media
>don't see anything wrong with making that assertion with no evidence to
>back it up...

Yeah, that's one of the sad things about Hitch's turn - he doesn't really quote anyone, he just lazily relies on the assumptions of his new audience that the left, such as it is, is pro-OBL.

By the way, someone told me that Louis Lapham pretty much said outright that Ashcroft is a bigger danger than bin Laden, yet he continues to write for Harper's. No one in The Nation ever said any such thing. Harper's pays better and has more mainstream cred, though.

Doug