Hitch on Hardball

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Oct 18 10:15:01 PDT 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> [clip]
>
> Yeah, that's one of the sad things about Hitch's turn - he doesn't
> really quote anyone, he just lazily relies on the assumptions of his
> new audience that the left, such as it is, is pro-OBL.
> [clip]

This is exactly what I've been saying for years about Judith Butler's NLR article. It also applies to most of what appears on this list in the guise of left self-criticism.

If we are going to _create_ a coherent left, we have to start out by noticing that no such now exists. And please note that I am willing (nay anxious) to admit (claim) that so loose a movement (containing real internal contradictions) as the '60s left still could be characterized as coherent. My apporach does _not_ assume a puristic conception of what "The Left" should look like.

Carrol