Hitch on Hardball

Christian Gregory christian11 at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 18 16:08:14 PDT 2002

>But I remember listening to her deliver that talk at the RM conference (on my
birthday, December 7, 1996) and being very annoyed, asking myself, who the hell is she talking about? And then, in subsequent months, I had many conversations about the Sokal affair, narrowly, and the "merely cultural," more broadly, and discovered she had a serious point. Her critics made her argument for her.

> Doug

I agree with her point--that for too many, sex/ gender/ race/ ethnicity/ ability are "secondary" to the primary contradictions of capital. But such a broad claim would be helped if, _at a given moment_, she/we could look at the possibility that class and the economy _are_ the determining contradictions, while at other moments not. As Raymond Williams once put it, the problem is always about the "order of determination" at any given moment.

Christian