Hitch on Hardball

steve philion philion at hawaii.edu
Fri Oct 18 16:11:11 PDT 2002

Carrol with 2 r's wrote: My objection to Butler was _never_ that _no_ marxists fit her description; my objection was that it was intellectually dishonest to refuse to give _any_indication of which marxists in particular, or to indicate that there were major differences on the point.

Martha Gimenez is a Marxist. Does she deny the importance of gender or sexual preference?

Barbara Foley is a Marxist. Does she deny the importance of gender and sexual preference?

If the answer to either of thes questions is No, then Butler is actually lying with the traditional dishonest academic's ploy of vague generalization without analysis.

--I would add to this list 2 other Marxists whose contributions to the question of gender are valuable, Lise Vogal and Johanna Brenner....

Brenner has an outsdanding article on On Gender and Class in U.S. Labor History in 1998 that every Marxist should read. Her book is the essay in book form. http://www.monthlyreview.org/1198bren.htm

Steve