RES: A new Korean War?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Oct 18 18:02:26 PDT 2002

>>True, there are very few "rogue states". But why Lula wants WMDs
>>for Brazil? He expects to go to war with the US?
>>
>>Ulhas
>
>He doesn´t. What he argued is that Non Proliferation Treaty is quite
>assymetrical. However, I think many people in the left here favors
>that Brazil should develop WMD. We don´t know what will happen with
>the US policy tomorrow, and those wonderful weapons would manke the
>Evil Empire think twice before he tries a military adventure. I
>personally agree with that, but I also think we have more
>important priorities.
>
>Alexandre Fenelon

I agree with Alexandre. Here's what's reported in the _Times_ (UK) concerning Lula and NPT:

***** Published on Thursday, October 3, 2002 by the Times/UK Brazil's Firebrand 'Lula' Marches to the Presidency by Gabriella Gamini in São Paulo

...Senhor da Silva's promise to slow the flow of imports and protect Brazilian industry has appealed to his core supporters in poor suburbs and shanties, but also to industrialists. He has also tapped into nationalist sentiment by expressing doubts about Washington's plans for a Free Trade of the Americas pact.

"We need to have courage to fight against the rich countries and tell them that we will not accept impositions and will only accept deals that are also beneficial to us," he told a rally in Rio de Janeiro.

He has even made friends with his old enemy, the military. He drew rapturous applause during a recent meeting with top military officials, in which he said that Brazil may have made a mistake in signing a nuclear non-proliferation treaty. "Why is it that someone asks me to put down my weapons and only keep a slingshot while he keeps a cannon pointed at me?" he said at a recent rally.

He is supporting a plan by Embraer, the fourth-largest aircraft maker in the world, to develop missile technology and an advanced fighter jet, which could make Brazil a key player in weapons production.

"Brazil will only be respected in the world when it turns into an economic, technological power," he has said. "During my government people will see that Brazil is not just about football, beaches and samba."...

<http://www.commondreams.org/headlines02/1003-06.htm> ***** -- Yoshie