Towards a More Sex-Positive -- And More Relevant -- Left

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Oct 18 22:52:43 PDT 2002

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Carrol undoubtedly knows more ribald and licentious verses than all
> of us put together here. Don't underestimate a Professor of English.
> ;->

My fifth favorite poet, after Milton, Pope, Pound, & Guthrie

The Imperfect Enjoyment

(John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester)

Naked she lay, claspt in my longing Arms,

I fill'd with Love, and she all over charms,

Both equally inspir'd with eager fire,

Melting through kindness, flaming in desire;

With _Arms, Legs, Lips_ close clinging to embrace,

She clips me to her Breast, and sucks me to her _Face_.

The nimble _Tongue_ (_Love's_ lesser Lightning) plaid

Within my _Mouth_, and to my thoughts convey'd

Swift Orders, that I shou'd prepare to throw,

The _All-dissolving Thunderbolt_ below.

My flutt'ring _Soul_, sprung with the pointed kiss,

Hangs hov'ring o're her _Balmy Limbs_ of Bliss.

But whilst her busie hand, wou'd guide that part,

Which shou'd convey my _Soul_ up to her _Heart_.

In liquid _Raptures_, I dissolve all o're,

Melt into Sperme, and spend at ev'ry Pore:

A touch from any part of her had don't,

Her Hand, her Foot;, her very look's a _Cunt_.

Smiling, she chides in a kind murm'ring _Noise_,

And from her _Body_ wipes the clammy joys;

When with a Thousand Kisses, wand'ring o're,

My panting _Breast_, and is there then no more?

She cries. All this to Love, and _Rapture's_ due,

Must we not pay a debt to pleasure too?

But I the most forlorn, lost _Man_ alive,

To shew my wisht Obedience vainly strive,

I sigh alas! and Kiss, but cannot Swive.

Eager desires, confound my first intent,

Succeeding shame, does more success prevent,

And _Rage_, at last, confirms me impotent.

Ev'n her fair Hand, which might bid heat return

To frozen _Age_, and make cold _Hermits_ burn,

Apply'd to my dead _Cinder_, warms no more,

Than Fire to _Ashes_, cou'd past Flames restore.

Trembling, confus'd, despairing, limber, dry,

A wishing, weak, unmoving lump I ly.

This _Dart_ of love, whose piercing point oft try'd,

With _Virgin blood, Ten thousand Maids_ has dy'd.

Which _Nature_ still directed with such _Art_,

That it through ev'ry _C---t_, reacht ev'ry _Heart_.

Stiffly resolv'd, twou'd carelesly invade,

_Woman_ or _Boy_, nor ought its fury staid,

Where e're it pierc'd, a _Cunt_ it found or made.

Now languid lies, in this unhappy hour,

Shrunk up, and Sapless, like a wither'd _Flow'r_.

Thou treacherous, base, deserter of my flame,

False to my passion, fatal to my _Fame_;

By what mistaken _Magick_ dost thou prove,

So true to lewdness, so untrue to Love?

What _Oyster, Cinder, Beggard_, common _Whore_;;;,

Didst thou e're fail in all thy Life before?

When _Vice, Disease_ and _Scandal lead the way,

With what officious hast dost thou obey?

Like a Rude roaring _Hector_, in the _Streets_,

That Scuffles, Cuffs, and Ruffles all he meets;

But if his _King_, or _Country_, claim his Aid,

The _Rascal Villain_, shrinks, and hides his head:

Ev'n so thy _Brutal Valor_ is displaid,

Breaks ev'ry _Stews_, does eqch small _Whore invade_,

But if great _Love_, the onset does command,

Base Recrant, to thy _Prince_, thou darst not stand.

Worst part of me, and henceforth hated most,

Through all the _Town_, the common _Fucking Post_;

On whom each _Whore_, relieves her tingling _Cunt_,

As _Hogs_, on _Goats_, do rub themselves and grunt.

May'st thou to rav'nous _Shankers_, be a _Prey_,

Or in consuming _Weepings_ waste away.

May _Stanguries,_ and _Stone_, thy _Days_ attend,

May'st thou Piss, who didst refuse to spend,

When all my joys, did on false thee depend.

And may _Ten thousand_ abler _Pricks_ agree,

To do the wrong'd _Corinna_, right for thee.