Towards a More Sex-Positive -- And More Relevant -- Left

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 18 23:47:12 PDT 2002

--- Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:

> I'd venture to say that sexual dynamics is related
> to underrepresentation of women. Men (whatever
their
> political
> persuasions) tend to have problems with women who
> assert political
> and intellectual powers as most left-wing women do,
> especially the
> ones who don't give a damn about whether or not they
> are sexually
> attractive to men.

Yoshie, I think you said a WHOLE lot there, and I admire your honesty. However, why would a heterosexual woman or man NOT give a damn about being sexually attractive to the opposite sex? Is it liberating to react to sexism and/or consumerism by making yourself ugly? Isn't doing that just as reactive to men as spending all of your time polishing your nails in order to impress them?

I have a dear friend, Marina Minghelli, who is a somewhat well-known novelist in Italy and, in any case, perceptive as a novelist should be (she is also on the Left). After visiting the Bay Area and being invited to a number of feminist workshops etc here, she made the comment to me that these women were as focused on men as the most petty fashion-magazine reading female. She said that men were still at the center of these womens lives. They weren't seeking out their own way through life, they were too busy reacting to men. Now that is something worth pondering, isn't it?

> "The females are most excited by, or prefer pairing
> with, the more
> ornamented males, or those which are the best
> songsters, or play the
> best antics

I shall keep this advice in mind, should I ever visit Columbus, Ohio.

-Thomas

===== "A question is always the desire to know, and to preserve simple human truths, we need secrets. The secrets of happiness, death, love."