Towards a More Sex-Positive -- And More Relevant -- Left

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sat Oct 19 05:57:24 PDT 2002

> However, why would a
> heterosexual woman or man NOT give a damn about being
> sexually attractive to the opposite sex? Is it
> liberating to react to sexism and/or consumerism by
> making yourself ugly? Isn't doing that just as
> reactive to men as spending all of your time polishing
> your nails in order to impress them?

> -Thomas

A while back I posted an anecdote about a lefty woman I dated in NYC, a former professional child model who grew into a ravishing young woman, and was so repelled by her "beauty" that she did everything she could undermine it -- including not showering or using deodorant. She went in for this pseudo-primitive anarchism, which I liked in a raw immediate sense, but which became, I'm afraid, a sort of Gospel for her. She too preferred an "ornamental" man, i.e. an effeminate man over whom she could play the masculine role. And the last time I saw her, years ago at a party in the East Village, she apparently found him, an obedient younger guy wearing barrettes and fingernail polish. He seemed to enjoy her ordering him around, so I suppose, in her small way, she overcame the hideous sexism she once served.

DP