It's all about Hitch

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Mon Oct 21 08:16:13 PDT 2002

No-- what is dangerously suggests is that little else than self-promotion is at work, a much worse charge. But to be fair, Hitchens hate of Clinton and disdain for the left position on middle east politics was evident long before the incidients in question, and it is the energy of those positions that no doubt drove the writing of the books in question. That he engineers high-profile "incidents" to coincide with their publication is self-promotion of the highest order of course, but the only real issue is the pros and cons of the actions themselves, not their relation to self-promotion per se.

I thought the Snitchens incident was despicable in that it was targetted at a friend and used the destruction of a personal relationship to serve his agenda. The break with the Nation may be felt by some as the sundering of a personal links, but was clearly framed by Hitch as an institutional disassociation based on politics. But then I have more sympathy for the politics of the latter act than the former, so that may shape my tolerance for each.

-- Nathan Newman

----- Original Message ----- From: "Max B. Sawicky" <sawicky at bellatlantic.net>

I seem to recall that his previous departure from left solidarity, the 'snitchens' episode, just happened to occur at the time his previous book was released. This suggests a bit more than self-promotion is at work.

mbs

Come on-- "pathetic", he's out there selling a book on Orwell for gods sake. Of course there's self-promotion involved to stage his own little "Orwell in miniature defection".

My complaint is that so few on the Left, Michael Moore and a few others excepting, have so little sense these days of creative marketing with good timing.

-- Nathan Newman

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Kromm" <ckromm at mindspring.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 8:11 AM Subject: It's all about Hitch

Doesn't anyone else find Hitch's endless self-promotion and publicity mongering over his "departure from the left" as really pathetic? Jesus, resign and move on already. His astonishing sense of self-importance and embarassing need to be noticed are really sad. And really, his columns were never *that* good ... witty, but never high on the "wow, that was insightful" scale ...

Chris Kromm Keep your eyes on the prize.