anti-sex left ?

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Oct 21 12:54:07 PDT 2002

Chuck Grimes wrote:
> Some history notes on this anti-sex left thread.

> So, I would say that whatever effects could be seen as an anti-sex
> Left are simply a reflection of a much more general sort of
> destruction and deformation wrought by the Right and its long campaign
> to re-Puritanize the US. In overt social and legal terms they have
> more or less won the battle. I would estimate that roughly half of
> what many people do with each for intimacy, enjoyment and pleasure is
> illegal. In other words a significant part of human life has been
> criminalized.
>
> That is the overt battle. Since it is probably impossible to discover
> what actually goes on and what people actually think and do in these
> realms, thanks to the massive formal repressions, I just assume most
> people have gotten used to either lying or remaining silent. Modesty
> as a public face is essentially political protection.
>
> So yes, it would be nice to celebrate a sex-positive Left, except for
> the fact most of it is illegal.
>
> We were Talibanized a long time ago and wear our burkas on the inside,
> thanks to the fanatically vicious rightwing reactionary
> Christian-crappola we've been oppressed by for last twenty years.
>
> And BTW, Anthony, stop apologizing. It's embarrassing.

I don't buy into these pessimistic conclusions. Yes, the Religious Right tired for many decades to Talibanize Americna society, with some success, but ultimately they lost that campaign.

You talk about stuff that is illegal, yet how many of us can cite a recent example of somebody being prosecuted for their sexual practices. There may be some laws on the books, but you are more likely to get a speeding ticket than be arrested for sodomy or having a pornographic magazine. What's more, sexual materials are widely available, including on the TV now.

I'm not sure if there have been any studies done on this, but I'm betting that the Internet has had a lot to do with defeating the Religious Right.

And where is Dr. Laura these days?

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)