Hitchens in the Post

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Mon Oct 21 18:52:11 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter K." <peterk at enteract.com>

>Looks like you're right. However, how different are the WWP and RCP
>when you get down to it?

In the repugnancy of their core politics? Not a lot-- one praises the butchers of Beijing, the other denounces them (due to nostalgia for their displacement of Mao's Gang of Four) while praising the Sendera Luminosa.

But the RCP was far less in control of NION and its politics and atmosphere is far different. I doubt you would have Tim Robbins, who was a central speaker at NION in NYC, on stage at an IAC event explaining why he wasn't sure that the Afghanistan intervention was a bad thing.

Let me put it this way-- I've been pissier about the Left every rally I went to since 911 and the single rally by NION reenergized my opposition to the war and made me feel I could actually recruit people to the antiwar movement in good concience again. The difference in politics of the two coalitions could not be larger.

--- Nathan Newman