the anti sex left

Daniel Davies dsquared at al-islam.com
Tue Oct 22 06:08:04 PDT 2002

various folks wrote:

>stuff

but I'm still confused. I don't even understand what "sex-positive" means. Being "anti-sex" sounds sort of like being "anti-custard" or anti- anything else that's an incredibly ubiquitous feature of normal life. Which, come to think of it, probably means that the anti-sex left is much bigger than I think.

anyway, my tiny walnut-sized stockbroker's brain can't cope with abstract concepts any more, so can we tie this down to a specific example:

In my line of business, and given my social circle, I am often invited to strip clubs. I never go. Mainly because

a) the darling Tess would leave me and b) I do kind of think that there's something ethically dodgy about it.

Presumably, this is an example of "anti-sex" thinking, and given that I'm, broadly speaking, a man of the left, it's probably specifically anti-sex leftism.

Is it the case then, that there is something in Judith Butler or some similar which would constitute a high-minded, principled defence of my going to strip clubs? It would be pretty nifty if there was. And it's not even necessarily an academic question.

Although I personally think it's a pretty fucked-up way to spend an evening, one does get those nihilistic days when you can sort of see the appeal of hanging around in a darkened boozer with a few mates, watching a woman ten years younger than myself crawl around in order to ask for a ten pound note in exchange for a view of her labia. Therefore, having some sort of sincere-sounding argument from leftwing or feminist principles to the effect that this was a perfectly fine and even slightly radical thing to do would be most useful to me. It would have to be pretty logically watertight to convince the dear girl (in fact, I don't really see myself wanting to test out any such argument in a live combat situation). But I'm willing to be convinced.

So, come on, pro-sex left, I'm a potential convert here. Why is it that there's nothing wrong with my spending my evenings in strip clubs?

cheers and overpriced beers

dd