the anti sex left

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Oct 22 09:16:54 PDT 2002

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> At 10:58 AM -0400 10/22/02, Chuck0 wrote:
> >It's also a reaction to puritans in our midst, like Catherine
> >MacKinnon and Andrea Dworkin.
>
> Andrea Dworkin and Catherine MacKinnon, however, are not in our
> midst. They are not even in the mainstream of feminism today, much
> less any other social movement on the [broadly defined] left side of
> the political spectrum.
> --

This association of Dworkin & MacKinnon with feminist and leftists movments I think reveals the origin of the cliches of a humorless and "anti-sex" left. Those are ancient charges against feminism, mechanically and mindlessly transferred (as they were mechanically and mindlessly coined to begin with) to left movements in general. I find it interesting that the people who are most apt to use these old, moldy, dogmatic, and sectarian jargon are so often the same people who endlessly strive to show that _they_ (unlike almost everyone else on the left or in the women's movement)are unmoldy, young, undogmatic, unsectarian, and blisslfully free of jargon.

Carrol